The  Pyghtle

 

     we like older cars and innovative engineering

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1914 Wolseley Stellite

 

In 1914 just before the outbreak of the First World War, the "Electrical & Ordnance Service Accessories Company" of Birmingham (a subsidiary of the Vickers Engineering company, who also owned Wolseley Motors Ltd. at the time), built 'Ward End Works' at Washwood Heath, between Common Lane and Drews Lane, on a 65-acre green-field site.

This was to produce the 'Stellite', a light car with a 1075 cc (62 mm bore x 89 mm stroke) ‘F-head’ 4-cylinder engine, rated at 8/10 hp engine, using bodywork and chassis manufactured at Wolseley's main 'Adderley Park' plant. 

 

After the war, Vickers instructed Wolseley to reintroduce the model as the "E2A" for a short period, but as Wolseley had just launched a new similar car, they stopped the 'Stellite' production in 1919.

 

 

 

 

 

 

§     A 1914 Stellite took part in the Bexhill 100 event in 2000.

§     A 1915 Stellite recently sold in USA for $12,100.

§     The legendary photographer, Alfred Watkins had a 1919 Wolseley Stellite as his main transport, to attend events throughout Herefordshire and surrounding counties, for his work.

§     The Heritage Motor Centre, at Gaydon, have a 1919 Wolseley E2A Stellite, registration number BW285, which appeared in the "Phantom of the Opera" film.

 

Although the Stellite is contemporary with Elwood Haynes' discovery of the
high performance cobalt-chromium alloy of the same name, there is no apparent connection.